Cucumber-Avocado Soup with Tomato Salsa
A cool, creamy uncooked puree of cucumber and avocado is accented by a spicy salsa. A purchased fresh tomato or tomatillo salsa, available in the refrigerator cases of most grocery stores, works well, or substitute a favorite recipe of your own.
- 1 large ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cut
- 1 large English (hothouse) cucumber, cut
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 5 Tbs. fresh tomato or tomatillo salsa
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced green onions
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a food processor, combine the avocado and cucumber and process until smooth. Add the stock, 3 Tbs. of the salsa, the lemon juice, sour cream and green onions and process until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
Ladle the soup into small bowls or cups. Garnish each portion with a dollop of the remaining 2 Tbs. salsa.
Serves 4 to 6.