Crostini with Tapenade
The tapenade can be transferred to a nonreactive bowl or a jar, tightly covered and refrigerated for up to 48 hours. Return to room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
For the tapenade:
- 1 1/2 cups pitted mild brine-cured green olives,
such as Luques or picholines, black niçoise
olives or a combination
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 Tbs. capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbs. cognac or brandy
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
24 thin baguette slices
- Nonstick olive-oil or vegetable-oil cooking spray
or olive oil as needed
- Pimiento (sweet pepper) strips for garnish
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet and coat them lightly with the olive-oil spray, or brush lightly with olive oil. Bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer the toasted baguette slices to a serving platter. Spread each one with about 1 Tbs. of the tapenade, then crisscross 2 small strips of pimiento on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.