Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
Our chipotle rub, a savory blend of ground chipotle chiles, cumin, coriander and other aromatic spices, transforms simple chicken breasts into flavorful fajitas for an easy weeknight meal. Serve the chicken and tortillas with your favorite fajita toppings, each in its own small bowl, and allow your guests to assemble their own fajitas to their liking.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs. Spicy Chipotle Rub
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced cut into strips 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 to 12 flour tortillas, warmed
- Crumbled cotija cheese for serving
- Fresh salsa, purchased or homemade, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro for serving
- Lime wedges for serving
Rub the chicken with the chipotle rub and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the grill pan lightly with vegetable oil. In batches if necessary, add the chicken to the pan and grill, turning once, until nicely marked on both sides and opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a fry pan over high heat, warm the vegetable oil. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the red and green bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bell peppers are tender and the onions are slightly browned, about 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken lengthwise into strips about 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick. Add the chicken to the platter with the onion and bell peppers.
Serve the chicken, onion and bell peppers with the tortillas, cheese, salsa, cilantro and lime wedges, allowing diners to assemble their own fajitas at the table. Serves 4.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen