Chicken Kabobs with Lemon and Oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or
thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Asian eggplant, cut crosswise into slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch
- 1 yellow onion, halved, separated into layers and
cut into 1 1/2-inch squares
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
Meanwhile, prepare an indirect-heat fire in a covered grill. Place 8 wooden skewers in water to cover and let stand for at least 15 minutes.
When the fire is hot, drain the skewers and thread the chicken, eggplant, bell pepper and onion pieces onto them, alternating the pieces and dividing them equally. Place on the perimeter of the grill rack directly over the fire. Grill, turning the skewers once or twice, until the chicken is browned, about 5 minutes total. Move the skewers to the center of the grill rack so they are not directly over the fire. Cover the grill, open the vents halfway, and cook, turning the skewers occasionally, until the chicken is opaque throughout and the juices run clear and the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.
Transfer the skewers to a warmed platter or individual plates and serve with the lemon wedges.