Cellophane Noodle Salad
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1 green jalapeño chili
- 1/4 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 3 oz. cellophane noodles, soaked in warm water
for 30 minutes
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbs. water
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and julienned cucumber
- 1/2 cup seeded and julienned red bell pepper
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 red-leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 Tbs. minced unsalted peanuts, toasted
- 1 Tbs. shredded fresh mint
- 1 Tbs. shredded fresh cilantro
Season the pork with the salt and white pepper. In a sauté pan over high heat, sauté the pork until it turns opaque and is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the pork to a sieve and let drain, then place in a large bowl. Drain the noodles and add to the bowl with the pork.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and water. Heat until the sugar has dissolved, pour the mixture into a bowl and gradually whisk in the canola oil.
Add the cucumber, bell pepper, shallots, mushrooms, lemongrass and chili to the pork and noodles and toss to mix. Add the lime-juice mixture and toss to coat evenly.
Line a platter with the lettuce leaves. Top with the pork and noodles, garnish with the peanuts, mint and cilantro and serve. Serves 4.