Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
The humble cauliflower is elevated to star status in this recipe, as it becomes caramelized and slightly sweet during roasting. A topping of green olives, capers and fresh herbs adds a flavor-packed finish. Serve alongside roasted fish or meats.
- 2 Tbs. plus 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large head cauliflower, about 2 lb. (1 kg), cut crosswise into 6 slices, each about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 1/4 oz./40 g) pitted green olives, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. capers, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
Preheat an oven to 400°F (200°C).
In a large nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tsp. of the olive oil. Add 2 cauliflower slices and cook, turning once, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a nonstick baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Working in 2 more batches, repeat with the remaining 4 tsp. olive oil and the remaining cauliflower slices.
Transfer the cauliflower to the oven and roast until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the olives, the 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil, the lemon juice, capers, parsley, oregano and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the cauliflower to a platter, top with the olive mixture and serve. Serves 4.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen