Caesar Salad with Poached Eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs. plus 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground 5-pepper blend, to taste
- 12 eggs
- 6 slices country bread, cut on bias 1/4 inch thick and toasted
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, leaves separated
Fill an egg-poaching pan with 1/2 inch water, set over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Lightly coat the poaching cups with nonstick cooking spray and crack an egg into each cup. Cover and cook until the whites are firm and the yolks are glazed over but still soft, 4 to 5 minutes, or until done to your liking. Transfer the eggs to a warmed plate and repeat to cook the remaining eggs.
Put the bread slices on individual plates or on a large platter. Lightly drizzle the bread with olive oil, and season with salt and 5-pepper blend.
Put the lettuce in a large bowl. Add just enough dressing (about 1/2 cup) to generously coat the leaves and toss to coat evenly. Divide the lettuce among the bread slices and top each serving with 2 poached eggs. Season the eggs with 5-pepper blend and drizzle with a small amount of the remaining dressing. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 6.