Butternut Squash Soup with Hazelnut Cream
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock, warmed,
plus more as needed
- 1 jar (17 oz.) butternut squash puree
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
In a soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the 2 cups stock and the squash puree and bring to a simmer, stirring, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring, for 12 to 15 minutes. Using a blender or stick blender, puree the soup, adding more stock if the soup is too thick. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Whisk the hazelnut cream until lightly foamy. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and top each serving with the hazelnut cream.