- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) (4 oz./125 g) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 oz. (90 g) unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup (8 oz./250 g) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (3 oz./90 g) cake flour, sifted
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) fresh raspberries
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
In a saucepan over low heat, combine the butter and unsweetened chocolate. Heat, stirring often, until melted, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and salt. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until well blended. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir until just blended.
Pour the batter into the prepared dish and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out almost completely clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Do not overbake. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Cut the brownies in 9 equal squares. Using your finger, make a shallow indentation in the center of each brownie. Place one raspberry in each indentation. Serve the brownies with the remaining raspberries alongside. Makes 9 large brownies.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, Dessert, by Abigail Johnson Dodge (Simon & Schuster, 2002).