Braised Veal Shanks (Osso Buco)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 slices veal shank, each 1 1/2 inches thick,
tied with kitchen string
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups veal, beef or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
Add the wine, bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, turning occasionally, until the meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (The dish can be prepared up to this point, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. To continue, reheat gently over low heat for 20 minutes.)
Combine the parsley and garlic clove on a cutting board and finely chop together. Transfer to a bowl, add the lemon zest and toss together. Scatter the mixture over the veal. Baste the veal with the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes more.
Transfer the veal to a warmed serving dish or individual plates. Serve immediately.