Braised Chestnuts with Madeira Cream Sauce
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lb. shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean,
stems removed and caps quartered
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into
- 1⁄3 cup minced shallot
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium canned
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbs. medium-dry Madeira wine
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 lb. fresh chestnuts, roasted and peeled,
or 3 cups purchased steamed chestnuts
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Return the fry pan to medium heat and melt the remaining 4 Tbs. butter. Add the carrots, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 15 minutes; do not let the butter brown. Add the shallot, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock, the 3/4 cup Madeira and the mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring once or twice, until the carrots are almost tender, about 12 minutes.
In a small bowl, stir the 2 Tbs. Madeira into the cornstarch to make a slurry. Add the slurry and the cream to the fry pan. Scatter the chestnuts over the mushrooms and carrots. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Season generously with pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt.
Fold the chestnuts into the sauce, breaking them up as little as possible. Transfer to a warmed bowl and serve immediately.