Beef Tenderloin Medallions with Port and Chestnut Sauce
- 4 lb. (2kg) beef tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch
- Kosher salt and freshly ground 5-pepper blend,
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup tawny port
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 Tbs. veal demi-glace
- 1/2 cup diced prepared French chestnuts
- 2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- Mashed potatoes for serving (see related recipe
Reduce the heat to medium (350°F on the electric skillet). Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the port and cook, stirring to scrape up the browned bits, until the liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in the stock and demi-glace and simmer for 5 minutes.
Return the beef to the pan and cook, turning once, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until done to your liking. Transfer the beef to a platter and cover loosely with foil.
Add the chestnuts and rosemary to the sauce, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Spoon the sauce over the beef and garnish with the chives. Serve immediately with mashed potatoes. Serves 6 to 8.