Asparagus Soup with Poached Eggs
Capture the essence of spring with this beautiful soup, which combines pureed asparagus with baby spinach, topped with a poached egg and garden-fresh herbs. Our Cuisinart soup maker streamlines preparation.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green portions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Hungarian paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, spears cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs. chicken or vegetable stock concentrate
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 6 poached eggs
- Fresh tarragon leaves, flat-leaf parsley leaves and chopped chives for garnish
In a Cuisinart soup maker and blender over high heat, warm the olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the leek, season with salt and pepper and cook, using the stir function occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and the 1 tsp. paprika and cook, using the stir function occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the asparagus, stock concentrate and water and cook, using the stir function occasionally, until the asparagus is tender, about 15 minutes.
Place the spinach on top of the soup mixture and cook for 1 minute. Using a towel, hold the lid down and blend on the highest setting until the soup is smooth.
Season the poached eggs with salt and pepper and lightly sprinkle with paprika. Pour the soup into 6 warmed bowls and top each with 1 poached egg. Garnish with tarragon, parsley and chives and serve immediately. Serves 6.