Artichoke Braised Chicken with Couscous
Putting together dinner is a snap using Williams-Sonoma’s flavorful braising sauces. Here, earthy artichokes are a fragrant addition to economical bone-in chicken legs. Serving the chicken on a bed of couscous allows you to enjoy every bit of the delicious braising liquid.
- 6 bone-in whole chicken legs, about 3 1/2 lb. (1.75 kg) total
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 Tbs. (3 fl. oz./750 ml) olive oil
- 1 jar Williams-Sonoma Artichoke & Roasted Garlic Braising
- 3 cups (24 fl. oz./750 ml) chicken broth
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 cups (12 oz./375 g) couscous
- 1 can (15 oz./470 g) artichoke hearts, quartered
- 8 oz. (250 g) baby kale leaves
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper. In a large fry pan or the stovetop-safe insert of a slow cooker over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Working in batches, sear the chicken, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes per batch.
Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker insert, if necessary, and add the braising sauce. Cover and cook in a slow cooker on high until chicken is fork-tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
About 20 minutes before chicken is finished cooking, in a saucepan over high heat, bring the broth, butter and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil. Add the couscous, stirring constantly, then remove from the heat. Cover and let stand until the liquid is fully absorbed, about 15 minutes. Using a fork, fluff the couscous to separate the grains.
In a bowl, combine the artichoke hearts and kale. Add the remaining 4 Tbs. (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat.
Serve the chicken on a bed of couscous, spooning the artichoke hearts and kale on top. Serves 6.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen