Shun Kaji Hollow-Ground Santoku Knife
- Special Offer
From our premium Kaji line by Shun, this santoku is handcrafted in Japan and blends new technology with centuries-old traditions of handcraftsmanship. A versatile knife for chopping and slicing, the santoku combines the benefits of a cleaver and a chef's knife. Hollow-ground indentations on its blade reduce friction and minimize sticking.
- 65-layer blade features a premium SG-2 powdered steel cutting core clad in 64 layers of forged nickel/stainless steel Damascus.
- Inspired by centuries-old samurai sword–making techniques, the blade's construction creates a supersharp cutting edge.
- Wide, pointed blade is hollow ground with indentations that minimize sticking.
- Handle is made of moisture-resistant, resin-infused PakkaWood, shaped for comfort and control.
- This NSF-certified knife meets the high-level safety standards for professional kitchens.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- A Williams Sonoma exclusive.
- Dimensions & More Info
- 5.5" Santoku: 5.5" long blade; 5 1/2"-long handle; 6.5 oz.
- 7" Santoku: 7" long blade; 5 1/2"-long handle; 8.2 oz.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
This item is shipped from our warehouse by UPS to arrive within five business days of our receiving your order.
Next Day Delivery
Orders reciived by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday thorugh Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Shipping Options and Charges.
- Gift with Purchase
- Warranty Information
Learn more about Care, Sharpening, Warranty Policy and Shipping Instructions. View details
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
Rated 5 out of 5 by PeterL from Love this knife! It just can't get any better! I have several of these knifes and they are the best!Date published: 2016-09-14Rated 5 out of 5 by PShelton from Love the Hollow-Ground These knives are sharp and hold an edge better than most. The hollow-ground will release most moist foods much easier than a flat ground knife. I now have three (different sizes) and they are my "Go to" knives for all my cooking. Not sure what I would do without them!Date published: 2016-09-07Rated 5 out of 5 by deez from GREAT GIFT! This was purchased as a gift. If you want to score points with those around you that do all the cooking, this is the gift to give!Date published: 2015-01-29Rated 5 out of 5 by Divergent from A Piece of Art The Shun Kaji knife is a beautiful kitchen tool. It's extremely sharp blade slices thru most everything with great ease. It requires some care when handling due to its sharpness to avoid cutting one's self. I take great care to store it away from the grandchildren. It's a great knife!Date published: 2014-08-17Rated 5 out of 5 by ClairenAZ from Fantastic Knife This is my first Shun Knife and I am impressed! The knife is solid, but not too heavy. You can feel its quality by simply holding it. It is razor sharp and cuts through everything beautifully. Highly recommend. A little pricey, but I got it on sale. I will build my knife collection piece by piece around the wonderful knife.Date published: 2013-11-04Rated 4 out of 5 by catsinthekitchen from Super sharp but inconsistent quality The knife is beautiful but I had to go through several to find one that didn't have a defect in the handle (uneven meeting of the tang & wood) or dimples in the blade. It is incredibly sharp and performs as well as one would expect a knife to for this price but, even giving leeway knowing that the knives are handmade, quality control isn’t great. I would buy in store so you know exactly what you're getting. Also, this is a much heavier knife than a Shun Classic or Global which gives it a good stable hold (extra weight is in the tang, not the blade), but personally I think for a weightier knife, a German knife is the way to go. My Wusthof Epicures perform just as well for our vegetarian diet, have a thick strong blade that holds an edge & withstands a beating (not as delicate as the Kaji's steel). Don't get me wrong, the Kaji line is impressive but isn’t a daily use knife for me as expected and, at this price point, took too much effort to find a knife that was satisfactory in quality.Date published: 2013-11-04Rated 5 out of 5 by PurdumPam from My new "Go To" knife This knife is a great size and weight as well as a real looker. I have small hands and they do not get tired when using this knife. The size also makes it very versitile.Date published: 2012-11-28Rated 5 out of 5 by TheOvenMitt from Maintains sharpness better than Shun Classic This knife holds its edge much better than the Shun Classic santoku that it replaced. I also like the higher weight from the thicker tang. For me, it makes the knife easier to control. I like more weight in the handle. My left handed girlfriend likes the handle much better than the Classic because the symmetrical shape of the Kaji is easier for her to hold than the asymmetrical "D" shaped handle of the Classic. The "D" shape of the Classic is good if you are right handed because the bulge on the finger side makes it easier to hold. For lefties, the bulge is on the thumb side, and my left handed girlfriend found it harder to hold.Date published: 2012-10-21