Shun Hiro Dual-Density Utility Knife
- Special Offer
Our exclusive Shun Hiro collection features high-performance Eastern-style knives designed for speed, agility and balance as well as striking beauty. A cutting core of ultra premium SG-2 steel gives them a super sharp, lasting edge, and hammered blades help keep foods from sticking for fast, efficient use. Handcrafted in Japan, this dual-density knife combines two types of serrations to cut easily through crusty breads as well as delicate tomatoes.
- Unique combination of low- and high-frequency serrations guarantees unsurpassed performance.
- Low-frequency serrations help minimize resistance between blade and cutting board.
- High-frequency serrations reduce tearing when cutting soft-skinned foods (like tomatoes) or slicing through hard crusts.
- The blade's core of SG-2 powdered steel is clad on each side with Damascus steel composed of 32 alternating layers of nickel and stainless steel, for a total of 65 layers.
- SG-2 is an extremely fine-grained, dense and hard steel, which enables it to take and hold an exquisitely fine edge with long-lasting sharpness.
- The hammered pattern (tsuchime in Japanese) helps the blade pass easily through food without sticking.
- Contoured, ambidextrous handle is designed for ultimate comfort and control.
- Handle is dark charcoal-colored PakkaWood with crimson striations and an inlaid mosaic Samurai family crest.
- Mirror-polished nickel silver bolster and end cap.
- 7 1/4"-long blade; 4 3/4"-long handle; 6 oz.
- A Williams Sonoma exclusive.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent. Rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a sharpener designed for a serrated blade, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
This item is shipped from our warehouse by UPS to arrive within five business days of our receiving your order.
Next Day Delivery
Orders reciived by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday thorugh Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
- Gift with Purchase
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
- Warranty Information
Also in this Collection
Shun Hiro Chef's Knife with Stand
Shun Hiro Chef's Knife
Rated 5 out of 5 by LONETREERUNNER from Hiro saves the day! Just purchased Fuji and Hiro knives from W/S store. Having dinner at my wife's sisters house ,my wife cuts herself trying to cut a crusty French baguette with her sister's knife. I go to the car and bring back my Hiro. Push,pull cut, done! Wow,she says and I try it, unreal! My Henckels Pro S never could do that.SG-2 stands for Super Gold 2 powder steel alloy. Rockwell hardness of 62 versus 55 to 56 for German knives. One point increase is equal to 10% increase of hardness/ edge holding. A 16 degree cutting edge vs 20-25 per side(50 degrees combined, double bevel) for german knives. Ultra premium knife. Sharp ,lightweight, easy to maneuver , precision handling. Shun knives are a dream, highly recommended!Date published: 2016-12-22Rated 5 out of 5 by DowninDE from Love this knife Purchased this knife to go with the Hiro chef knife that we love. This knife is now our Go-To knife. It cuts fresh bread and tomatoes like your cutting air. highly recommend adding this to your collection.Date published: 2016-08-08Rated 5 out of 5 by CraigTX from A Work of Art that Performs This knife replaced our premium German tomato and bread knives. The fine serrations work massively better. Also, the craftsmanship is superb ... it is a thing of beauty. Wish it was and inch or two longer, but since we purchased it on a WS promotion at a significant discount, we have no complaints.Date published: 2014-03-02Rated 5 out of 5 by PMartin from A true all-purpose knife I love this knife. It cuts through practically anything, and it's held up very well for me through heavy use. I highly recommend it. And it's practically a work of art on top of that!Date published: 2013-10-22Rated 5 out of 5 by raneydaycook from Visualy Stunning Everything about this knife is cool! The look of the blade is art in and of itself. Every task I've done - from slicing tomatoes or onions to artisan breads and just plain halving a sandwich has been great. If you can buy only one great knife this should be it! Treat it with respect and it will last a lifetime!Date published: 2013-08-05Rated 5 out of 5 by relaxeddoc from Sheer pleasure to use It's true, slices through tomatoes and bread effortlessly. But this knife is so sharp and so versatile it has become my "go to" knife. Previously, I'd had a bias against serrated knives for cooking. Now I know better.Date published: 2013-07-25Rated 3 out of 5 by izzo from very fragile and thin blade tip This is an incredibly beautiful knife so sharp and precise - I absolutely love using it. However, I am now returning my 2nd one. The first one the tip bent. The second one the tip broke. I have taken good care of the knife, following instructions, but the tip is just so fragile and thin. I wonder if these other reviewers have had the same problem a few months on.Date published: 2013-05-10Rated 5 out of 5 by Garbone from A real cutup! Outstanding feel and balance. Useful for all those slicing needs and tasks. Beautiful construction.Date published: 2013-03-12