Shun Hiro Chef's Knife
- Special Offer
Our exclusive Shun Hiro collection features high-performance Eastern-style knives designed for speed, agility and balance as well as striking beauty. A cutting core of ultra premium SG-2 steel gives them a super sharp, lasting edge. Handcrafted in Japan, these chef’s knives are indispensable for everyday cutting tasks from chopping to slicing to mincing.
- Extremely thin, lightweight blade for fast and agile performance.
- The blade's core of SG-2 powdered steel is clad on each side with Damascus steel composed of 32 alternating layers of nickel and stainless steel, for a total of 65 layers.
- SG-2 is an extremely fine-grained, dense and hard steel, which enables it to take and hold an exquisitely fine edge with long-lasting sharpness.
- The hammered pattern (tsuchime in Japanese) helps the blade pass easily through food without sticking.
- Dimensions & More Info
- Contoured, ambidextrous handle is designed for ultimate comfort and control.
- Handle is dark charcoal-colored PakkaWood with crimson striations and an inlaid mosaic Samurai family crest.
- Mirror-polished nickel silver bolster and end cap.
- 8" chef's knife: 8"-long blade; 4 3/4"-long handle; 7.8 oz.
- 10" chef's knife: 10"-long blade; 5"-long handle; 10 oz.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
UPS can deliver most in-stock items within 4-5 business days. UPS is unable to deliver to P.O. boxes.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
Next Day Delivery
For an additional charge of $17.50 per address, we can expedite delivery to most destinations. This service is not available for some oversize items, items shipped directly from the supplier (including perishable and custom-manufactured items), out-of-stock items and items to be shipped outside the contiguous 48 states.
Orders received by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday through Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
At Williams-Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. Attention to design, materials, safety and construction are our priority. Upon receipt, please inspect your purchase and notify us of any damage; we will arrange for a prompt replacement.
If within 30 days, you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return your purchase for a refund of the merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required for all returns and exchanges. Returns with a gift receipt will be refunded in the form of a Merchandise Credit for the amount indicated on the gift receipt. Returns with original receipt will be refunded in the original form of payment, cash and check refunds over $100 will be issued as a company check (may take 14 business days from time of request).
For all cutlery returns (knife sets, single knives, cutting boards, knife sharpeners, and knife storage) please contact us at 888.922.4108 to initiate the return.
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, food, items shipped direct from the vendor, or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
Made to Order and Final Sale Furniture items are non-returnable, and cannot be cancelled once the order is placed.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams-Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Full Return Policy.
- Gift with Purchase
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
- Warranty Information
Rated 5 out of 5 by deez from Great Gift! This was purchased as a gift. If you want to score points with those around you that do all the cooking, this is the gift to give!Date published: 2015-01-29Rated 3 out of 5 by drewcifer from Great knife, not worth the cost Purchased from a brick and mortar store. The helpful associate lacked knowledge about knives; e.g., pronouncing the name "Shun," instead of "Shoon.” In the store, this knife went through everything with ease. It even shaved a few hairs off my arm. Being a gift that I knew would last for the rest of her life; we purchased the Hiro model (a little splurge). At home, the knife performs flawlessly; glides through meat and made deboning a chicken very easy for her. I have a few Globals and a Wustof that I hand sharpen every few months. Comparing it to a freshly sharpened Global G-2, there’s not much difference. Both have not lost their edge since purchase (4 weeks ago). The Shun is not balanced when held at the bolster. IMHO, the average home chef will not be able to tell the difference between this blade and the Shun Premier model or another quality knife. The knife is stunningly beautiful. For the price, I believe you can get a much better blade.Date published: 2013-12-18Rated 5 out of 5 by ATXWARLORD from New Favorite Knife I bought this knife shortly after WS started selling this line. It was like love at first sight. Then I take it home, and it out performs my expectations too. I can get nearly transparently thin slices in uniform with very little effort. The handle is beautiful, and fits against tang/blade perfectly. Blade is a gorgeous work of art, fantastically sharp, holds an edge, and stays sharp with regular use of a honing steel. Wonderfully balanced. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. (now I just need to add more pieces from this line)Date published: 2013-08-15