Shun Classic Western Chef's Knife
- Special Offer
Combining the best of two knife-making traditions, this knife from our Shun Classic line has a thicker blade than traditional Japanese cutlery and a 22-degree cutting edge modeled after European chef’s knives. The thicker, heftier blade allows it be used for heavy-duty cutting tasks while still offering the superb edge retention of the Shun Classic VG-Max “super steel” blade.
- Japanese-made chef’s knife with the 22-degree blade-edge angle of Western kitchen cutlery.
- Appropriate for tasks such as cleaving, cutting through chicken bones, cracking crab shells and preparing melon fruits with thick rinds.
- Thick, strong blade offers more belly curve for rocking cuts.
- Broad blade is useful for transferring chopped foods from cutting board to pot.
- VG-Max “super steel” blade is exceptionally hard and offers superior edge retention.
- Blade is clad on each side with 16 microthin layers of high-carbon steel, creating a variegated look reminiscent of a Damascus-style blade.
- Durable PakkaWood handle resists moisture and is D-shaped to sit comfortably in the hand.
- Extra weight in stainless-steel bolster balances the heavy blade.
- This NSF-certified knife meets the high-level standards of commercial kitchens.
- 6" knife: 6"-long blade; 5"-long handle; 6.8 oz.
- 8" knife: 8 1/4"-long blade, 5"-long handle; 8 oz.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.