Shun Classic Western Chef's Knife
Combining the best of two knife-making traditions, this knife from our Shun Classic line has a thicker blade than traditional Japanese cutlery and a 22-degree cutting edge modeled after European chef’s knives. The thicker, heftier blade allows it be used for heavy-duty cutting tasks while still offering the superb edge retention of the Shun Classic VG-Max “super steel” blade.
- Japanese-made chef’s knife with the 22-degree blade-edge angle of Western kitchen cutlery.
- Appropriate for tasks such as cleaving, cutting through chicken bones, cracking crab shells and preparing melon fruits with thick rinds.
- Thick, strong blade offers more belly curve for rocking cuts.
- Broad blade is useful for transferring chopped foods from cutting board to pot.
- VG-Max “super steel” blades are clad on each side with 69 microthin layers of stainless steel, creating a variegated look reminiscent of a Damascus-style blade.
- Durable PakkaWood handle resists moisture and is D-shaped to sit comfortably in the hand.
- Extra weight in stainless-steel bolster balances the heavy blade.
- 6" knife: 6"-long blade; 5"-long handle; 6.8 oz.
- 8" knife: 8 1/4"-long blade, 5"-long handle; 8 oz.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 22-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
Next Day Delivery
Orders reciived by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday thorugh Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
- Gift with Purchase
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
- Warranty Information
To learn more about Shun cutlery care, sharpening, warranty sharpening policy and shipping instructions, click here