Shun Classic Hollow-Ground Santoku Knife
- Special Offer
Combining the benefits of a chef's knife and cleaver, this hollow-ground santoku is indispensable for chopping, slicing and dicing. Oval indentations on the blade's sides reduce friction to produce clean, uniform cuts and minimize sticking.
- VG-MAX "super steel" blade is clad on each side with 16 microthin layers of high-carbon steel, creating a variegated look reminiscent of a Damascus-style blade.
- The wide, angle-tipped blade combines the best features of a chef's knife and a cleaver.
- Indentations along the blade reduce friction and keep slices from sticking.
- Exceedingly sharp cutting edge is long lasting and easy to maintain.
- Durable PakkaWood handle resists moisture and has a D shape, to sit comfortably in the hand.
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- Dimensions & More Info
- 5 1/2" santoku: 5 1/2"-long blade; 6"-long handle; 4.8 oz.
- 7" santoku: 7"-long blade; 6"-long handle; 6.5 oz
- This NSF-certified knife meets the high-level safety standards for professional kitchens.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus extracts.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
This item is shipped from our warehouse by UPS to arrive within five business days of our receiving your order.
Next Day Delivery
Orders reciived by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday thorugh Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
- Gift with Purchase
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
- Warranty Information
Rated 5 out of 5 by LTC5RSM from My Favorite Knives I have the 7" Santoku and 30 other Shun Knives. They are wonderful as well as beautiful. They are sharp, beautifully balanced and make a clean cut. Use the cleaver for cutting bone.Date published: 2015-06-02Rated 5 out of 5 by Chaneilus from Purchased for a chef I bought this knife for my son who is a professional chef. He uses his own knives at work so it was great to have this one personalized with his initials. He's also left-handed and this is the first left-handed edge he's used. He absolutely loves it! This is his second Shun knife (also has a chef's knife) and they are his favorites. I had no problem ordering on the website and it arrived on time, as promised.Date published: 2014-02-15Rated 5 out of 5 by tonypal from Fantastic knife Love the knife. very sharp really enjoy using it. ready to buy some of the other Shun knifes.Date published: 2013-08-01Rated 5 out of 5 by MsMorgan from Very usable knife I like the Santoku style but wanted a slightly smaller everyday knife and I wanted to try one of the Shun knives. Really like it. It is easy to handle, very sharp and a good weight. I got the 5 1/2" knife.Date published: 2013-04-30Rated 4 out of 5 by Hellespont from Very sharp, holds edge, works well I'm a home cook working on becoming a home chef. Had been using the Shun Classic 5 in. Santoku for some time and really liked it. When the need for a larger knife came up, decided to stick with Shun and bought the 7 in. Both knives are extremely sharp (on first use managed to nick myself & draw blood with no effort) and hold their edge well. That it comes with a right- or left-hand handle is a nice feature. Good heft & feel. Excellent value for home use. Has a relatively thin blade that is great for chopping and slicing but requires care in cleaning and storage. Can't speak to how it would hold up under heavier use pros would give it.Date published: 2013-03-22Rated 5 out of 5 by 914664 from Shun knife good. Purchased on line not good. Hello. I recently purchased a SHun knife through the website. The knife is terrific however the process to purchase it was not. I wanted to engrave a monogram on the knife but the site did not allow me to type in more than 1 letter which makes it tough to have any meaningful monogram. This is in spite of the fact that a monogram could be added to the part for a small charge but there must be technical problems preventing it.Date published: 2013-02-14Rated 5 out of 5 by whateverissharp from Nice Knife Small but very useful. Slices tomatoes and other soft things very nicely. Well worth the $ spent. Shun makes a great product.Date published: 2013-02-01Rated 5 out of 5 by mmd1 from Shun 4 /12 knife What a treat, what a great knife, perfect for all those vegetables that need sliced. Love itDate published: 2013-01-30