Shun Blue Kiritsuke Knife
- Special Offer
- Online Only
The Shun Blue Steel series was developed in partnership with award-winning chef Chris Cosentino, known for his “nose to tail” philosophy of using the whole animal. These traditional Japanese knives feature a core of blue steel – a fine-grained carbon steel favored by professional chefs for its blazing sharpness – that is encased between two layers of stainless steel. In Japan, using a kiritsuke is a sign of a master chef. A skilled cook can do just about anything with this long-bladed knife, which functions like a chef's knife for all-purpose chopping, thin slicing and mincing.
- Japanese san mai construction features carbon steel between two layers of stainless steel, providing the ultra-sharpness of carbon steel with the easier maintenance and added corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
- Blue steel, hardened to 61 Rockwell, is a super-hard, fine-grained carbon steel known for taking and maintaining an extremely sharp edge (“blue” refers to the paper the raw steel comes wrapped in).
- Mirror-polished blade has a bead-blasted edge where the two steels meet, showcasing the layered construction.
- Traditional Japanese hexagonal handle is made of gray PakkaWood.
- 10"-long blade, 5 1/4"-long handle. 8.5 oz.
- Includes a protective sheath.
- Knife handcrafted in Japan; sheath made in China.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus ingredients.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
- Shun Blue Steel knives will eventually develop a beautiful dark patina along the cutting edge, which helps protect the carbon-steel cutting core from rust.
Also in this Collection
Shun Blue 3-Piece Knife Set
3-Piece Knife Set
- Online Only