Shun Blue Kiritsuke Knife
Kiritsuke KnifeInternet Only
The Shun Blue Steel series was developed in partnership with award-winning chef Chris Cosentino, known for his “nose to tail” philosophy of using the whole animal. These traditional Japanese knives feature a core of blue steel – a fine-grained carbon steel favored by professional chefs for its blazing sharpness – that is encased between two layers of stainless steel. In Japan, using a kiritsuke is a sign of a master chef. A skilled cook can do just about anything with this long-bladed knife, which functions like a chef's knife for all-purpose chopping, thin slicing and mincing.
- Japanese san mai construction features carbon steel between two layers of stainless steel, providing the ultra-sharpness of carbon steel with the easier maintenance and added corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
- Blue steel, hardened to 61 Rockwell, is a super-hard, fine-grained carbon steel known for taking and maintaining an extremely sharp edge (“blue” refers to the paper the raw steel comes wrapped in).
- Mirror-polished blade has a bead-blasted edge where the two steels meet, showcasing the layered construction.
- Traditional Japanese hexagonal handle is made of gray PakkaWood.
- 10"-long blade, 5 1/4"-long handle. 8.5 oz.
- Includes a protective sheath.
- Knife handcrafted in Japan; sheath made in China.
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus ingredients.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
- Shun Blue Steel knives will eventually develop a beautiful dark patina along the cutting edge, which helps protect the carbon-steel cutting core from rust.
This item is shipped from our warehouse by UPS to arrive within five business days of our receiving your order.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination.View Shipping Options and Charges.
For an additional charge of $15 per address, we can rush delivery to most destinations. This service is not available for some oversize items, items shipped directly from the supplier (including perishable and custom-manufactured items), out-of-stock items and items to be shipped outside the contiguous 48 states.
At Williams-Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. If, within 90 days, you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason, please return the item for an exchange or refund of the merchandise value. View Full Return Policy.