Shun Blue 6" Butchery Knife
- Special Offer
- Online Only
The Shun Blue Steel series was developed in partnership with award-winning chef Chris Cosentino, known for his “nose to tail” philosophy of using the whole animal. These traditional Japanese knives feature a core of blue steel – a fine-grained carbon steel favored by professional chefs for its blazing sharpness – that is encased between two layers of stainless steel. This utility/butcher knife excels at breaking down larger pieces of meat into cuts for cooking, and makes quick work of separating meat from bone. The size and shape also makes it an ideal all-purpose utility knife for the kitchen.
- Japanese san mai construction features carbon steel between two layers of stainless steel, providing the ultra-sharpness of carbon steel with the easier maintenance and added corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
- Blue steel, hardened to 61 Rockwell, is a super-hard, fine-grained carbon steel known for taking and maintaining an extremely sharp edge (“blue” refers to the paper the raw steel comes wrapped in).
- Mirror-polished blade has a bead-blasted edge where the two steels meet, showcasing the layered construction.
- Traditional Japanese octagonal handle is made of gray PakkaWood.
- Dimensions & More Info
- Includes a traditional Japanese wooden saya, or sheath, for safe storage.
- 6"-long blade, 4 3/4"-long handle.
- 4.5 oz.
- Knife handcrafted in Japan; sheath made in China.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone, as other blades can be easily damaged.
- Hand wash with warm water and a mild detergent; rinse and dry immediately.
- Avoid cleaners containing bleach or citrus ingredients.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing once a week, your knife should not need sharpening more than once or twice a year.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener designed to sharpen at a 16-degree angle, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
- Shun Blue Steel knives will eventually develop a beautiful dark patina along the cutting edge, which helps protect the carbon-steel cutting core from rust.
Next Day Delivery
Also in this Collection
Shun Blue 3-Piece Knife Set
3-Piece Knife Set
- Online Only