Shiitake Mushroom Growing Kit
Growing your own organic mushrooms is easy to do with this self-contained kit. Each kit is composed of a sawdust and organic rice bran growing medium that has been inoculated with enough spores to produce crops of up to a pound of shiitake mushrooms. Simply set your mushroom kit in a cool indoor spot and, with minimal care, you’ll be harvesting a fresh crop every month! Shiitake mushrooms have a rich, meaty flavor that enhances everything from stir-fries and soups to pasta dishes and stews.
- Mixture of mushroom spores, red oak sawdust and organic rice bran grows crops right in bag.
- With proper care, repeatedly produces one- to two-pound crops of mushrooms.
- Harvest once a month for three to six months.
- Simply place in cool indoor spot with indirect light and sufficient humidity.
- First crop is ready to harvest within two weeks of delivery.
- Spent growing block is fully compostable.
- Handmade in USA by Far West Fungi.
- Use & Care
Growing & Harvesting Instructions:
- Leave mushroom block in its bag and place in an indoor spot where it will receive indirect sunlight and protection from heat and drafts. Best results will occur between 50° and 65°F.
- In one to two weeks, swellings resembling small, round mushrooms will begin to appear. When these caps are about 1/2-inch across, open the top of the bag three to four inches.
- If the growing area does not contain sufficient humidity, the inside walls of the bag may need to be misted two or three times a day until harvesting. Water should not be allowed to accumulate on the bottom of bag.
- After a few days the cottony white veil beneath the mushroom cap will fully break away from the stem. Mushrooms should be harvested at this point, before they are fully open. Using a sharp knife, cut the stem off as close to the block as possible.
- After the first crop has been harvested, reclose the bag and allow block to rest for three to four weeks, checking it regularly for new growth.
- The kit will typically produce three or more crops when the above steps are followed.
- With time your mushroom kit may lose so much moisture that it will stop producing. If two weeks pass without a new crop emerging, use a sharp knife to make long 1/4”-deep incisions on all sides of the block.
- Submerge block in a bowl of cold water overnight, using a weight to hold it down. After allowing the block to drain for ten minutes, return it to a clean bag. This treatment often produces one or more late crops.
This item will be shipped directly from the manufacturer and is not eligible for rush shipping. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
At Williams-Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. Attention to design, materials, safety and construction are our priority. Upon receipt, please inspect your purchase and notify us of any damage; we will arrange for a prompt replacement.
If within 30 days, you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return your purchase for a refund of the merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required for all returns and exchanges. Returns with a gift receipt will be refunded in the form of a Merchandise Credit for the amount indicated on the gift receipt. Returns with original receipt will be refunded in the original form of payment, cash and check refunds over $100 will be issued as a company check (may take 14 business days from time of request).
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, items shipped direct from the vendor, or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams-Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Full Return Policy.