Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit
Growing your own organic oyster mushrooms is easy to do with this self-contained kit. Each kit is composed of a sawdust and organic rice bran growing medium that has been inoculated with enough spores to produce one- to two-pound crops of tree oyster mushrooms. Simply set your mushroom kit in a cool indoor spot and, with minimal care, you’ll be harvesting a fresh crop every one to two weeks! With a delicate texture and sweet, mild flavor, oyster mushrooms are delicious in egg dishes, stir-fries, stews, risottos and pastas.
- Mixture of mushroom spores, red oak sawdust and organic rice bran grows crops right in bag.
- With proper care, repeatedly produces one- to two-pound crops of mushrooms.
- Fresh crops may be harvested every one or two weeks over a period of two to three months.
- Simply place in cool indoor spot with indirect light and mist daily.
- Spent growing block is fully compostable.
- Handmade in USA by Far West Fungi.
- Use & Care
Growing & Harvesting Instructions:
- Leave mushroom block in its bag and place in an indoor spot where it will receive indirect sunlight and protection from heat and drafts. Best results will occur between 50° and 65°F.
- In one to two weeks, tiny, whitish pinheads will begin appearing on the upper surface of the substrate. When these are almost an inch long, open the top of the bag one to two inches and start lightly misting the young mushrooms once or twice a day (more frequently if drying out). Leave the bag slightly open between misting.
- Open the bag a bit wider each day to allow room for the mushrooms to grow. As the mushrooms grow larger and the bag is opened wider, mist more heavily and more frequently. Mushrooms should double in size every 24 hours.
- Harvest mushrooms by grasping the base of the each stem and pulling it free, leaving as much of the block intact as possible.
- After the first crop has been harvested, use a clean knife to lightly scrape off any “runts” that were left behind. Give the block a thorough misting and re-close the bag.
- Return the kit to its cool, protected spot and allow to rest. After a few days it should begin to produce its next crop of mushrooms.
- The entire crop cycle may be repeated every one to two weeks. The kit will typically produce three or more crops when the above steps are followed.
- With time your mushroom kit may lose so much moisture that it will stop producing. If two weeks pass without a new crop emerging, use a sharp knife to make long 1/4”-deep incisions on all sides of the block.
- Submerge block in a bowl of cold water overnight, using a weight to hold it down. After allowing the block to drain for ten minutes, return it to a clean bag. This treatment often produces one or more late crops.
This item will be shipped directly from the manufacturer and is not eligible for rush shipping. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
At Williams-Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. Attention to design, materials, safety and construction are our priority. Upon receipt, please inspect your purchase and notify us of any damage; we will arrange for a prompt replacement.
If within 30 days, you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return your purchase for a refund of the merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required for all returns and exchanges. Returns with a gift receipt will be refunded in the form of a Merchandise Credit for the amount indicated on the gift receipt. Returns with original receipt will be refunded in the original form of payment, cash and check refunds over $100 will be issued as a company check (may take 14 business days from time of request).
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, items shipped direct from the vendor, or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams-Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Full Return Policy.