Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit
- Online Only
- Vendor Shipped
Growing your own organic oyster mushrooms is easy to do with this self-contained kit. Each kit is composed of a sawdust and organic rice bran growing medium that has been inoculated with enough spores to produce one- to two-pound crops of tree oyster mushrooms. Simply set your mushroom kit in a cool indoor spot and, with minimal care, you’ll be harvesting a fresh crop every one to two weeks! With a delicate texture and sweet, mild flavor, oyster mushrooms are delicious in egg dishes, stir-fries, stews, risottos and pastas.
- Mixture of mushroom spores, red oak sawdust and organic rice bran grows crops right in bag.
- With proper care, repeatedly produces one- to two-pound crops of mushrooms.
- Fresh crops may be harvested every one or two weeks over a period of two to three months.
- Simply place in cool indoor spot with indirect light and mist daily.
- Spent growing block is fully compostable.
- Handmade in USA by Far West Fungi.
- Use & Care
Growing & Harvesting Instructions:
- Leave mushroom block in its bag and place in an indoor spot where it will receive indirect sunlight and protection from heat and drafts. Best results will occur between 50° and 65°F.
- In one to two weeks, tiny, whitish pinheads will begin appearing on the upper surface of the substrate. When these are almost an inch long, open the top of the bag one to two inches and start lightly misting the young mushrooms once or twice a day (more frequently if drying out). Leave the bag slightly open between misting.
- Open the bag a bit wider each day to allow room for the mushrooms to grow. As the mushrooms grow larger and the bag is opened wider, mist more heavily and more frequently. Mushrooms should double in size every 24 hours.
- Harvest mushrooms by grasping the base of the each stem and pulling it free, leaving as much of the block intact as possible.
- After the first crop has been harvested, use a clean knife to lightly scrape off any “runts” that were left behind. Give the block a thorough misting and re-close the bag.
- Return the kit to its cool, protected spot and allow to rest. After a few days it should begin to produce its next crop of mushrooms.
- The entire crop cycle may be repeated every one to two weeks. The kit will typically produce three or more crops when the above steps are followed.
- With time your mushroom kit may lose so much moisture that it will stop producing. If two weeks pass without a new crop emerging, use a sharp knife to make long 1/4”-deep incisions on all sides of the block.
- Submerge block in a bowl of cold water overnight, using a weight to hold it down. After allowing the block to drain for ten minutes, return it to a clean bag. This treatment often produces one or more late crops.
This item will be shipped directly from the manufacturer and is not eligible for rush shipping. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
At Williams-Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. If, within 90 days, you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason, please return the item for an exchange or refund of the merchandise value. View Full Return Policy.