Among the world's oldest culinary tools, volcanic rock mortars and pestles like these have been used by great cooks for thousands of years. Our molcajete (mortar) and tejolete (pestle) are hand carved from a single piece of basalt rock, so every piece is unique. In addition to being a great prep tool, the molcajete makes an impressive serving dish for guacamole and other party favorites.
- Perfect for crushing whole spices and making spice blends.
- Ideal for blending and serving guacamole—or for making pesto and other rustic sauces.
- Line with lettuce leaves to use as an all-purpose serving bowl.
- Rough interior texture of mortar helps crush and grind ingredients.
- Heavy pestle does the work for you, ensuring efficient grinding, blending and mixing.
- Dimensions & More Info
- Small Mortar: 6" diam., 4 1/2" high.
- Small Pestle: 3 1/4" long.
- Medium Mortar: 8" diam., 4 1/2" high.
- Medium Pestle: 4" long.
- Large Mortar: 10" diam., 6" high.
- Large Pestle: 5 1/2" long.
- Made in Mexico.
- Use & Care
- Season the mortar before first use: grind raw rice inside the bowl until the rice turns gray; empty and repeat until the rice no longer turns gray; rinse with water and scrub with a brush.
- Always place the molcajete on top of a cloth to avoid scratching the surface of your table or countertop.
- Avoid drastic changes in temperature.
- Hand-wash with running water, dish soap and a brush. Dry thoroughly.
Next Day Delivery
Orders recieved by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday thorugh Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.