Now you can use your own honey, or store-bought honey, to make mead, a unique low-alcohol honey wine and one the world’s oldest fermented beverages. The kit is created exclusively for us by Elizabeth Ryan, an award-winning cider maker who has made appearances at the James Beard House. Just follow the simple directions and in four to six weeks you can enjoy your first batch.
- You supply the honey—our kit includes everything else you need.
- Makes five 1-gal. batches; tools can be used again and again to make subsequent batches.
- All-natural ingredients; contains no preservatives or chemicals.
- Step-by-step instructions guide you through the mead-making process.
- Made in USA.
- A Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
- 1 gallon glass fermentation jug and metal lid.
- Adhesive temperature strip.
- Paper hydrometer.
- Siphoning Tube.
- Yeast for making five 1-gallon batches.
- Complete instructions.
- Use & Care
- Making the mead: For 5 minutes, steep 2 to 3 pounds of honey into 1-gal. water that has been heated to 160 degrees. The amount of honey you use will affect the sweetness. Then, pour into a 1-gal. growler, adding yeast nutrient and yeast. Shake vigorously. Let cool to 75 degrees. Insert stopper and airlock on growler. Put water in the airlock to monitor fermentation through the bubbles.
- Mead can be dry, semi-sweet or sweet. How much honey you use in the recipe will affect sweetness. You also control the sweetness by deciding when to stop fermentation. Taste it periodically. If you allow all the sugar to be eaten up, the mead will be bone dry. You can stop fermentation early for a sweeter mead. While fermenting, store in cool, dry place. Most meads are ready in 4 to 6 weeks.
- Racking: This is when you remove the mead from the lees (the dead yeast cells at the bottom of the bottle), which over time can have a negative effect on the flavor. Siphon mead from the growler into a bottle that is placed lower than the fermentation bottle. Gravity helps with siphoning.
- Storing: Mead keeps in the refrigerator for months, if not years, with alcohol a natural preservative.
Next Day Delivery