- Online Only
Now you can use your own honey, or store-bought honey, to make mead, a unique low-alcohol honey wine and one the world’s oldest fermented beverages. The kit is created exclusively for us by Elizabeth Ryan, an award-winning cider maker who has made appearances at the James Beard House. Just follow the simple directions and in four to six weeks you can enjoy your first batch.
- You supply the honey—our kit includes everything else you need.
- Makes five 1-gal. batches; tools can be used again and again to make subsequent batches.
- All-natural ingredients; contains no preservatives or chemicals.
- Step-by-step instructions guide you through the mead-making process.
- Made in USA.
- A Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
- 1 gallon glass fermentation jug and metal lid.
- Adhesive temperature strip.
- Paper hydrometer.
- Siphoning Tube.
- Yeast for making five 1-gallon batches.
- Complete instructions.
- Use & Care
- Making the mead: For 5 minutes, steep 2 to 3 pounds of honey into 1-gal. water that has been heated to 160 degrees. The amount of honey you use will affect the sweetness. Then, pour into a 1-gal. growler, adding yeast nutrient and yeast. Shake vigorously. Let cool to 75 degrees. Insert stopper and airlock on growler. Put water in the airlock to monitor fermentation through the bubbles.
- Mead can be dry, semi-sweet or sweet. How much honey you use in the recipe will affect sweetness. You also control the sweetness by deciding when to stop fermentation. Taste it periodically. If you allow all the sugar to be eaten up, the mead will be bone dry. You can stop fermentation early for a sweeter mead. While fermenting, store in cool, dry place. Most meads are ready in 4 to 6 weeks.
- Racking: This is when you remove the mead from the lees (the dead yeast cells at the bottom of the bottle), which over time can have a negative effect on the flavor. Siphon mead from the growler into a bottle that is placed lower than the fermentation bottle. Gravity helps with siphoning.
- Storing: Mead keeps in the refrigerator for months, if not years, with alcohol a natural preservative.
This item is shipped from our warehouse by UPS to arrive within five business days of our receiving your order.
The shipping rate varies depending on your order total and shipping destination. View Shipping Options and Charges.
Next Day Delivery
For an additional charge of $17.50 per address, we can expedite delivery to most destinations. This service is not available for some oversize items, items shipped directly from the supplier (including perishable and custom-manufactured items), out-of-stock items and items to be shipped outside the contiguous 48 states.
Orders recieved by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday thorugh Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
At Williams-Sonoma, we take great pride in the quality and craftsmanship of our products. Attention to design, materials, safety and construction are our priority. Upon receipt, please inspect your purchase and notify us of any damage; we will arrange for a prompt replacement.
If within 30 days, you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return your purchase for a refund of the merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required for all returns and exchanges. Returns with a gift receipt will be refunded in the form of a Merchandise Credit for the amount indicated on the gift receipt. Returns with original receipt will be refunded in the original form of payment, cash and check refunds over $100 will be issued as a company check (may take 14 business days from time of request).
We cannot accept returns on monogrammed, personalized, special-order items, custom upholstery, food, items shipped direct from the vendor, or on items damaged through normal wear and tear. Final sale items ending in .97 or .99 cannot be returned.
For returns of items purchased from your Williams-Sonoma Gift Registry, we will gladly provide a refund or exchange for the merchandise within 90 days of your event or within 90 days of purchase, whichever date is later. View Full Return Policy.