Global Sai Santoku Knife
Legendary industrial designer Komin Yamada brings a new age of innovation to Global cutlery with Sai—individually hand-hammered knives with one-of-a-kind character. Unifying function and design, this distinctive Japanese santoku combines an ergonomic handle with a triple-layered steel blade that combines characteristics of a Western chef’s knife and a cleaver.
- Great for everything from chopping herbs to slicing and dicing meats and veggies, this knife's razor-sharp blade makes it the tool of choice for precisely cutting thin, delicate slices of sashimi.
- The first new cutlery line produced by Global in more than 30 years, Sai blends the Japanese company’s tradition of craftsmanship with modern technological advancements.
- Designer Komin Yamada pairs user-friendly organic designs with individually hand-hammered blades that make each knife unique.
- The knives combine three layers of steel: a core of patented, ultra-hard Cromova 18 Sanso stainless-steel alloy and two outer layers of more flexible 18/8 steel for added strength and resistance to rust.
- Professional-quality blades are ice-hardened and tempered to increase hardness, resist corrosion and maintain long-lasting sharpness.
- Each blade is hand-hammered to create hollow air pockets that reduce drag, allowing the blade to glide through food without sticking.
- 12.5-degree blade edge is mirror-polished by hand for exceptionally long-lasting sharpness.
- The perfectly balanced handle has an ergonomic thumb rest for a smooth, efficient cutting motion and steady, comfortable grip.
- Iconic dots on the knife's hollow handle represent seven traditional Japanese virtues from the Samurai code of honor.
- Made in Japan.
- Dimensions & More Info
- 5" Santoku: 5 1/4"-long blade; 5"-long handle; 5.5 oz.
- 7 1/2" Santoku: 7 1/2"-long blade; 6"-long handle; 9oz.
- Use & Care
- Always use caution when handling sharp objects.
- Avoid cutting on hard surfaces such as stone, metal or glass.
- It is not advisable to use any knife but a meat cleaver to cut through bone or frozen food, as the blade can be easily damaged.
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent. Rinse and dry immediately.
- Use the honing steel only when you feel the knife has lost some of its original sharpness, usually no sooner than six months after its first use. As you continue to use your Global knife, it will require more frequent honing. If you need to hone your knife more than once every two weeks, it is time to have it sharpened.
- Sharpen your knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store knife in a safe place to protect its edge and prevent injury.
UPS can deliver most in-stock items within 4-5 business days. UPS is unable to deliver to P.O. boxes.
Next Day Delivery
Orders received by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday through Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.
Made to Order and Final Sale Furniture items are non-returnable, and cannot be cancelled once the order is placed.
- Gift with Purchase
- Free Knife Sharpening in Stores
Working with a sharp knife is safer, more effective and much less tiring than trying to cut and slice with a dull one. To ensure top performance, bring your favorite knife into your local store and one of our cutlery experts will give it a fresh, new edge using our precision equipment. The first knife is free; each additional knife is just $5.
Our stores also offer knife demonstrations to teach you the correct grip, positioning and basic knife techniques and can help you find the perfect cutlery for your needs – just ask a store associate for assistance.
Rated 5 out of 5 by newkitchen from new favorite knife this knife is such an amazing addition to my kitchen - my only regret is not getting both sizes! so easy to clean and so sharp!Date published: 2017-02-14Rated 5 out of 5 by KnifeLover75 from Global has done it again! Bought the new range of Global SAI knives - A chef's and a Santoku. I didn't even realise that Global came up with this new range. I used it for the first time last night and OMG, it is the best knives you can have for this price range and probably the only knives you will need, unless you like chopping bones, then go for a meat cleaver. But let's get back to the knives, they have more heft to the original Global range but they are also more balanced. The ergo handles are a great addition / innovation plus the hand hammered dimples gives it a strong functional character. I guess I won't be using my other Global knives anymore. This range IMHO is better than the Shun premier range as it fuses modern minimalism with ancient knife-making tradition. Well done Global!Date published: 2015-01-06Rated 5 out of 5 by sfdeb from Fabulous Santoku! I have a Global forged chef's knife GF33 which I love but at 8 1/2" I find it a bit too large for every day use so I wanted to try a Santoku. I decided to branch out and purchased a Shun and have never been satisfied with it. It didn't fit my hand well and never sharpened up as nicely as my Globals. I saw this Global Sai on sale and decided to spurge and replace the Shun and wow and I glad I did. It has quickly become my go-to knife. I have used it every day since I receive it and absolutely love it. It is sharp, well balanced and fits nicely in my large hands. I would highly recommend this knife to anyone especially women with larger hands.Date published: 2014-11-30Rated 5 out of 5 by Aarya from One of my fav Absolutely in love with Global Sai. Can't hate any knife that Global makes.Date published: 2013-08-03