Copper Long Handle Spade
This spade is handcrafted by Austrian coppersmiths, who forge each heirloom-quality tool from tin bronze - a hardwearing, rust resistant copper alloy that contains 94% copper. The gleaming head is honed to a sharp edge that slides easily into soil and slices through hardened earth. As it contacts soil, the blade deposits minute amounts of copper that promote water absorption and help to repel slugs and snails.
- Crafted for enduring quality, with honed edges that retain their sharpness.
- Hand forged to premium hardness, then polished to a high shine and left unsealed.
- Rust-resistant metal ages naturally to an attractive bronze patina.
- Small footrests at the top of the blade allow good leverage.
- Steam-bent solid ash shaft is sanded and left unsealed; topped with a solid beech T-handle.
- Shaft can be personalized.
- Copper and brass fittings.
- As with any handcrafted item, subtle imperfections, textures and irregularities are to be expected, and are part of the unique beauty of each piece.
- 9 1/2" x 6" head, 45" long overall; 3.3 lb.
- Made in Austria and Hungary.
- Use & Care
- Bronze retains its color best when used frequently. Less-frequent use will encourage a verdigris patina to develop.
- To clean, simply rinse with clear water; dry thoroughly.
- The edge can be sharpened periodically with a whetstone, file or by peening (hammering against a steel anvil).
- Condition handle with linseed oil or beeswax, if desired.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
Next Day Delivery
Orders reciived by 9:00 p.m., Eastern time, Monday through Thursday will arrive the next business day; orders placed Friday thorugh Sunday will arrive on the following Tuesday.